Using a more Descriptive Prompt
- PROMPT: Displays a message to the user. May be abbreviated PRO.
- message_text: The message that you want the PROMPT command to display.
- ACCEPT: Prompts the user for a value, and accepts a response. May be abbreviated to ACC.
- variable_name: Is the name of the substitution variable in which you want the user's response to be stored.
- [NUMBER|CHAR|DATE]: Allows you to specify a datatype. NUMBER may be abbreviated to NUM.
- FORMAT: Introduces a format string that is used to validate the user's input. May be abbreviated to FOR.
- format_spec: Is a format string that is used to validate the user's input. This format string is built just like the one used for the COLUMN command.
- DEFAULT: Introduces a default value, to be used if the user presses ENTER without responding to the prompt. May be abbreviated DEF
- default_value: The value that you want to use as a default response.
- PROMPT: Introduces the prompt text.
- prompt_text: Is the text that you want SQL*Plus to display as a prompt.
- NOPROMPT: Tells SQL*Plus not to display a prompt.
- HIDE: Causes SQL*Plus not to echo the user's response back to the display. This is useful when prompting for a password.