Programming PL/SQL using Oracle
This course introduces you to the object-oriented paradigm within the context of Oracle, then focuses on the SQL and PL/SQL commands for creating, modifying, and manipulating
data within objects such as object tables and related object tables. This course also covers nested tables, varrays, LOBs, object types, and objects embedded within relational tables.
You will learn the steps necessary to create and use methods written in PL/SQL to manipulate data within objects.
This is the first course in the five-part oracle New Features Certification Series. Taken in conjunction with the other courses within this series, this course will also prepare you to pass the
oracle New Features for Administrators certification exam. Along the way, you will work on a series of course projects and exercises that will give you a chance to put your new skills to use in
the context of actual business scenarios.
Millions of application developers and database administrators around the world use software provided by Oracle Corporation to build complex systems that manage vast quantities of data.
At the heart of much of Oracle's software is PL/SQL, a programming language that provides procedural extensions to Oracle's version of SQL (Structured Query Language) and serves as the programming language within the
Oracle Developer toolset (most notably Forms Developer and Reports Developer).
PL/SQL figures prominently as an enabling technology in almost every new product released by Oracle Corporation. Software professionals use PL/SQL to perform many kinds of programming functions, including:
- Implementing crucial business rules in the Oracle Server with PL/SQL-based stored procedures and database triggers
- Generating and managing XML documents entirely within the database
- Linking web pages to an Oracle database
- Implementing and automating database administration tasks, from establishing row-level security to managing rollback segments within PL/SQL programs
Completing the course, you will be able to:
- Describe the SQL enhancements that allow you to query object and related object tables
- Flatten nested tables and query them
- Update object tables
- Insert and delete rows in object tables
- Analyze dangling references
- Update nested tables and varrays
- Insert and delete rows in nested tables and varrays
- Create and use methods for object types
In this course, you will learn and practice your skills with two kinds of widgets:
- the SlideShow,
- the Tooltip.
New Features for PL/SQL
is the first of five courses in the oracle New Features
In the next lesson, the prerequisites for this course will be discussed.