Here are the terms from this module that may have been new to you:
- all_rows hint: The default cost-based optimizer method, all_rows maximizes overall execution time.
- Choose optimizer: This is a default optimizer_mode in the init.ora file. If statistics exist for any table in a query, CHOOSR will invoke the cost-based optimizer.
- Cost-based optimizer: This is the latest SQL optimizer that uses object statistics to make intelligent table access decisions.
- Execution plan: This is the compiled execution path to Oracle data.
- first_rows hint: This is a cost-based SQL optimizer hint that delivers rows as quickly as possible.
- Optimizer mode: This is the default optimizer as set in the init.ora file.
- Rule-based optimizer: This is the first Oracle SQL optimizer; it uses general rules to formulate execution plans.
You will explore the rule-based optimizer.