This module will describe the inner workings of the rule-based optimizer and provide you with a set of guidelines for determining when it is best to employ rule-based SQL optimization.
By the time you complete this module, you should be able to:
- Describe the major features of the rule-based optimizer
- List the advantages and disadvantages of the rule-based optimizer
- Correctly order table names in the FROM clause
- Correctly order items in the WHERE clause
- Rewrite complex Boolean logic with the UNION operator
- Evaluate and tune rule-based queries
Let us get started with an overview of rule-based optimization.