This module discussed important database concepts and how to prepare for adding database functionality to your Web site.
In the next module, you will learn about basic Structured Query Language (SQL) statements.
This module introduced you to the following terms:
- ActiveX Data Objects : A set of Component Object Model (COM) objects that provides an easy-to-use, scriptable interface to data sources
- command object: An object used to execute queries.
- connection object: An Active Data Object that is used to establish and maintain connections to data sources.
- data provider: Contains and exposes data to data consumers, such as a database, spreadsheet, etc.
- Data consumer: Uses data. ADO and VBScript are data consumers.
- data remoting: This refers to storing data on a remote server. The data is accessed across a network. The remote data server could be in the same room or building as the client or even in a different country.
- Data Source Name (DSN): A term for the information used to connect an application to an ODBC database.
- field: A location in a database record where a data element is stored, also called a column.
- HTTP request: A function provided by the Hypertext Transfer Protocol to request an action of the Web server.
- HTML controls: Used in Web pages to display information, also referred to as HTML elements.
- interface: Provides access to an application, objects, hardware, etc.
- iterate: To execute program statements zero or more times in a loop structure.
- logical connection: In the context of this course, refers to the association between the application and the datasource.
- SQL: Consists of statements that allow you to query databases from your applications.
- middleware: Software layer that enables communication between the application and the database.
- programmatically retrieve: This means to use a programming logic and code to get data from a data source.
- querystring: This is a VBScript variable that is used to hold SQL statements.
- recordset object: An Active Data Object that it used to retrieve, modify, display, and navigate recordsets.
- relational database: A database that is organized and accessed based on relationships between tables, rows, and columns.
- unique key: A column value that is unique to each row.
- Web application: A collection of pages that comprise a Web site.
- OLE Automation Client: An application that accesses objects exposed by another application.