Describe the capabilities of the Oracle Enterprise Manager.
Oracle Enterprise Manager is a system-management tool that provides an integrated solution for managing your heterogeneous database environment.
It combines a graphical console, agents, common services, and tools to provide an integrated, comprehensive systems-management platform for managing Oracle products. From the Oracle Enterprise Manager console, you can:
- Administer, diagnose, and tune multiple databases
- Distribute software to multiple servers and clients
- Schedule jobs on multiple nodes at varying time intervals
- Monitor objects and events throughout the network
- Customize your display using multiple graphic maps and groups of network objects such as nodes and databases
- Administer Oracle Parallel Servers (For information about administering Oracle Parallel Servers, see the Oracle documentation: Oracle Parallel Server Support for the Oracle Enterprise Manager Console Guide.)
The next lesson takes a closer look at the four quadrants of the OEM console.
Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) has introduced quite a few new 11g management features into the OEM GUI interface.
The most prominent 11g OEM new features include:
- Interface OEM to Foreign 3rd party Applications in 11g, OEM interfaces to Siebel and PeopleSoft Corp. into a single platform.
- OEM Easy de-install: In 11g, OEM will uninstall both successful and unsuccessful Oracle installs.
- OEM MOSC Support workbench: In 11g, OEM interfaces directly with My Oracle Support Community (MOSC), formally MetaLink.
Once the (ADR) Automatic Diagnostic Repository has detected and reported a critical problem,
the DBA can interrogate the ADR, report on the source of the problem, and in some cases even implement repairs.
- Database repair wizard: A GUI to guide beginners through the steps to diagnose and repair Oracle issues.
- Better OEM Grid tools: Another new Oracle11g feature may be improved RAC and Grid monitoring, especially on the cache fusion interconnect.
- Improved Database Home Page
- Performance changes
- Integrated Interface for LogMiner
- Advanced Replication Interface
- Wait Activity Detail Enhancement
- Easy Oracle Text Management
- Clone Database
- Migrate Database to ASM: Oracle 11g OEM has a utility to allow fast migration of data files into ASM.
- OEM Workspace Manager