Backup and recovery is one of the most important aspects of database administration.
If a database crashed and there was no way to recover it, the devastating results to a business could include lost data, lost revenue, and customer dissatisfaction.
Whether companies operate single databases or multiple databases storing hundreds of gigabytes or even terabytes of data,
they share one essential need which is to back up important data and protect themselves from disaster by developing a recovery plan.
Server-managed Backup Recovery features
Recovery Manager, a component introduced within Oracle8, provides a tightly integrated method for creating, managing, restoring, and recovering
Oracle database backups. In addition to Recovery Manager, a number of options aid in protecting critical data, including
- operating system backups,
- export utility, and
- Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM).
Oracle includes a significant number of enhancements and features designed to provide highly accessible database solutions.
These improvements go beyond making the Oracle database server more reliable.
They enhance system fault recoverability, allow planned database maintenance while the database is in production and available to users,
improve system manageability and serviceability, and simplify disaster planning.
The improvements include:
- Recovery Manager (RMAN) GUI and command line helps create and execute backup scripts, performing recovery with RMAN
- Faster recovery with Fast-Start Fault Recovery
- Creating automated standby databases
- Creating read-only databases
- Improvements in export/import, such as repair of corrupted blocks, and new reporting with LogMiner
- Configuring Enterprise Manager (OEM), running backup and recovery tools from OEM, and scheduling back ups with OEM.
This module explores each of these features in detail to help you understand the full implications of the Oracle backup and recovery capabilities.
When you have completed this module, you will be able to:
- Identify the new features within RMAN
- Explain Fast-Start Fault Recovery
- Explain the new concepts within a stand-by database
Describe the improvements within export/import utilities
Explore the features of OEM
The next lesson explains more about RMAN.